Friday, October 24, 2008

"Shut up white boy!"

This was what I heard out of a "white boy" while I was reffing intramural flag football earlier this week. This statement bothered me. I don't care that white people are dressing like they are "black" or even that they use ebonics and say stuff like "for shizzle" (even though it is really stupid when they do), but it seems a little odd that someone would say that

I have noticed that white people have been saying racist things about their own race. When a white kid calls another white kid a "cracker" or "white boy", does he actually think he is black? Or does he sincerely hate his own race? I can't figure it out. I love rap music and black culture as much as the next guy, but I don't hate white people because of it.

Are there actually people that are so ignorant that not only are they racist, but they don't even realize that they are racist against themselves? I don't really know where I am going with this. It is just crazy to think that some people change and other people change so much that they stay the same. That doesn't really make sense, but whatever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude! Nice post! And I hope you read Jake's recent post on pretty much the same topic:
http://mrmillirongoestowashinton.blogspot.com/2008/10/have-you-ever-seen-white-guy-blush.html

Beth said...

Interesting post-particularly as your brother and I have discussed similar topics, with us both being in a small white minority in the schools we work in. It is interesting to listen to my kids' comments (sometimes complimentary, one of the girls calls me 'her favorite white chick'). But take for instance the way my kids throw around the "n" word, which they could say if they were writing this, but being as I'm white, I cannot. If they say it with an "a" on the end, it is complimentary and use with their friends, particularly if "my" is placed in front of it, such as "my n***a." However, if they use the "er" ending, they may as well spit in the person's face- and sometimes that does accompany it. Just more food for thought.