Friday, October 24, 2008

I have just realized how crazy the world officially is. I am sitting in my Native American History class which I dread every Friday. It is a 3 hour class that is only on Friday because our teacher lives and teaches in Eugene. This week, he couldn't make it over so he is teaching us through a live feed on a t.v. and web cams. He can see and hear us and we can see and hear him. I strategically placed myself over by the door where his web cam can't see what I am doing. He is talking about who knows what. I have been checking my e-mail, fantasy teams, facebook, stocks, etc. I am getting credit for being here and participating while I have not done any of those. I am here, but not really. Why am I not paying attention? Other than this being horribly boring listening to this lecture, the notes are online. Why do I have to be here?

My professor: "Any other thoughts?"

Whole Class: Silence

Some fat guy 10 seconds later: "Well isn't corn the biggest crop among Native Americans?"

I am pretty sure that is racist.

I am one of nine people on their computers right now and I don't see anyone in Microsoft Word taking notes. I see two of them on facebook and another on her Limewire downloading Bob Marley.

Another thing that I don't understand is why I am taking a Native American History class when I am going to teach math. I know you need history to learn from other people's mistakes, but I think that I already know not to trust people I don't know (especially rich white people).

I can't believe that some day kids in my classes are going to think these same things about my class. It is kind of disappointing.

No comments: