Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Last Sunday, Pat and I were driving to Larkspur (this park on Reed Market that we play basketball at sometimes). I was driving on 27th (45 mph) and I got to that light behind Safeway and was at the crosswalk before I realized that the light was red. Not only that, but there was a car in the intersection. I don't know why I wasn't paying attention to the road because I wasn't messing around with the radio or on my phone, I just spaced out I guess. Anyway, as soon as I realized the light was red I slammed on the brakes and cranked the wheel to the right. I started sliding sideways right at the other car and I was about 5 feet away from it when I took my foot off the brake and swerved out of the way. I ran straight up onto a curb and missed a light pole by about 5 feet. As soon as I realized what had happened Pat said, "hey, there is a cop behind you." I figured that my life was over and that the cop would cite me for 10 different things and I would be in debt for years. I pulled into the Safeway parking lot and the cop pulled in behind me. He asked me for my license and registration and talked to me for a second and then went to his car. He comes back with a citation for running a red light for $250! That is it! Talk about being blessed, I almost killed myself and two other people, totaled my car and someone elses, and got cited for thousands of dollars in fines. I came away with a ticket for $250 that the cop said I should be able to get diversion school for. Can you believe that? It was insane. I still can't believe it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP!
You didn't tell us that story when you came to visit! And, clearly mom & dad haven't read this, because they BOTH would have said something by now.
Have fun in Diversion School!

Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't read it here, because Jerm TOLD me in person...like a good son! :o)
Thank You, Jesus, for protecting my baby!!! <><
Diversion School oughta be fun...when does that happen?
Hey, be careful out there!
XOXOXOXO....